2019 BARROW BAY PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
June 23, 2019 – 1:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order
3. President’s Remarks – Sylvia Plester-Silk
4. Minutes of the 2018 AGM – Read and Approval
6. Auditor’s Report
7. Directors’ Reports
8. Channel Master’s Report
9. Other Committee Reports/Updates – Golf Tournament, Fish Fry, Family Picnic
10. Election of Officers – Treasurer, Road Reps
11. Appointment of Auditor
12. Guest Speaker - OPP Constable Derek Zehr
13. Question and Answer – Mayor Milt McIver
14. Other Business Arising from Minutes
15. New Business
BBPOA President Sylvia Plester-Silk called the meeting to order at 1:00pm, and welcomed the attendees, and thanked Pat and Ray Gore for again hosting the meeting. Remarks from the President included;
● Review of proposal presented to MNBP requesting funding for the Barrow Bay break wall project.
● BBPOA received a letter from the office of Marc Garneau confirming that the Barrow Bay channel is a navigable waterway.
2018 Meeting minutes were read by President Sylvia Plester-Silk. Ron Dawson made a motion to accept the minutes as presented which was seconded by David Martin and the motion was passed by a show of hands.
Silvia Plester-Silk asked Joanne Brouwer-Shouldice to present the Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Joanne Brouwer-Shouldice presented the Treasurer’s Report (Appendix A). Anne Baskerville made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report which was seconded by Ron Dawson and the motion was carried by a show of hands.
Kathy Wilson presented the auditor’s report and that the state of the BBPOA financials are accurate and in keeping with rules governing the association. Jason Austen made a motion to accept the auditor’s report as presented which was seconded by John Levesque. The motion was carried by a show of hands.
- North Shore - Jason Austen welcomed new residents Judy and Mike ??. A reminder was provided that the speed limit is 25kph and a request for people to go slowly while traveling on the roads. There have been some comments and complaints about dogs being allowed to roam freely off leash.
- West Shore - Presented by Dave Wilson was a reminder of boating regulations that certain speed limits are to be observed by boaters when they are within 30m of the shoreline. Dave also mentioned that during the off-season a cottage at the end of the west shore road was broken into.
Channel Master’s Report – Marty Kings – absent. In Marty’s absence Sylvia Plester-Silk reported that;
● No work currently required due to favourable water levels
● Although Joanne Brouwer-Shouldice and John Levesque made a fantastic presentation to the Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula about the Barrow Bay channel and the need for financial assistance to complete the major structural erosion control project, funding requests to all levels of government have been unsuccessful to this point.
● Sylvia has been working with Chad Richards at Larry Miller’s office to encourage Federal participation in the Barrow Bay channel project.
Other Committee Reports/Updates
Golf Tournament – Bob Martin announced that the 12th annual Barrow Bay golf tournament will take place on July the 6th and tickets are available for both the golf portion and the dinner portion for sale by himself and David Martin. To date the BBGT has raised over $60,000 which will be used to support the channel erosion control project.
Family Picnic – There is no family picnic planned for 2019 however people are encouraged to present any ideas for fundraising.
Joanne Brouwer-Shouldice presented information about a Community Information Board that will be constructed near the road on the BBPOA property at the boat launch. The board will be available to post community information and also advertising space will be sold. There is potential for this advertising to generate $3,500 per year for the BBPOA. The board has been generously donated by the Shouldice family and Bruce Peninsula Stone.
Election of Officers – Treasurer, Road Reps
With Wayne Eichenberger stepping down as secretary, Joel Levesque offered to run for the position. Sylvia Plester-Silk made a motion to nominate Joel Levesque as Secretary which was seconded by Wayne Eichenberger. The motion was carried by a show of hands.
Appointment of Auditor
A motion to nominate Kathy Wilson As Auditor for 2019 was made by Wayne Eichenberger and seconded by Helen Greig. The motion was carried by a show of hands.
The 2018 BBPOA Executive members are as follows;
President – Sylvia Plester-Silk
Vice President – John Levesque
Treasurer – Joanne Brouwer-Shouldice
Secretary – Joel Levesque
Past President – Craig Dawson
The 2019 BBPOA Directors are as follows;
North Shore – Jason Austen
Barrow Bay Proper – Jason Austen
West Shore – Dave Wilson
South Shore – Dean Bedwell
McKague Road - vacant
a. Constable Derek Zehr of the OPP presented information and answered many questions about boating on our local waterways.
b. Milt McIver was present to answer questions from the members and was accompanied by councillors Megan Myles and James Mielhausen.
Other Business Arising from Minutes – None
New Business - None
A motion was tabled by Mike McGuire to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Penny ? and was carried by a show of hands.